Use the following summaries and questions to help explain this month’s Gospels to your kids.
March 1 | First Sunday of Lent
Matthew 4:1-11: As Jesus begins to prepare his ministry, he goes to the desert to pray and fast. When Jesus is tempted three times, he refuses to be tricked by false promises of power and glory.
- How was Jesus able to overcome the temptations?
- Jesus is tempted between love and selfishness. When is that choice hardest for you?
- What helps you to say no when you are tempted?
- Jesus prepared for his ministry by a time of fasting, prayer and strengthening himself against temptation. What will you do this Lent to grow more like Jesus?
March 8 | Second Sunday of Lent
Matthew 17:1-9: In today’s Gospel, Jesus’ apostles Peter, James and John get a glimpse of Jesus as he will be after his passion, death and resurrection. Jesus is the Son of God and the Messiah, in whom we experience God’s presence and in whose image we will be transfigured.
- How do you think Jesus and the apostles felt leaving the mountain?
- This is a wonder-filled Gospel story. What about life, about the Gospels, about God, about yourself, fills you with wonder?
- Jesus became transfigured (changed) and appeared dazzling white. How can you tell when someone has been touched by God’s love?
- When the disciples saw Jesus in his glory, they heard, “Listen to him.” How will you listen to him this week?
March 15 | Third Sunday of Lent
John 4:5-42: In this story from John’s Gospel, Jesus gives the Samaritan woman at the well “living water.” She, a foreigner, is hospitable to Jesus, and honest with him. Jesus reveals to her the truth of who he is. The woman rushes to tell everyone that the Messiah has come; she is so convincing that the Samaritans come to believe in Jesus because of her word.
- Do you know someone who is searching for “living water” (comfort, truth, God’s word, support, etc.)? Can you help?
- Are you “thirsty for something” – to be closer to Jesus, to be more peaceful, how to be more caring, etc.? What can you do? Who can help you?
- If you were at the well with Jesus, what question would you have asked him?
- What words of Jesus have helped you?
March 22 | Fourth Sunday of Lent
John 9:1-41: In today’s Gospel, Jesus heals the physical blindness for which the man was not responsible. Then Jesus challenged some religious leaders to face their spiritual blindness for which they were responsible.
- Are there some important things that I am too busy to see?
- Are there people in my life that I don’t “see”?
- If you had 20/20 faith vision, what would that mean?
- Are you a source of light or darkness to those around you?
March 29 | Fifth Sunday of Lent
John 11:1-45: When Mary and Martha’s brother, Lazarus, died, Jesus came to be with them. He cried with them and prayed with them. He then gave them a message of hope: “I am the resurrection and the life” and brought Lazarus back to life.
- Think of someone in your family who has died. What do you remember about them? What did you learn from them?
- Send a message of hope to someone who is sick or sad.
- Do you know someone who is lonely because a loved one has died? Call them and invite them to be with your family.